Our 2017 triathlon will take place on Saturday, May 20, 2017 (two weeks later than normal) – hooray for (likely) warmer weather!
Registration is OPEN. You can register online HERE.
2017 Tri 4 Schools Kids Triathlon/Aquathon Pricing Information
Remember to enter the name of the school you would like to donate your money to when you register!
|Category||Until 4/21/2017 at 11:59pm||From 4/22/2017 until 5/17/2017 at 11:59pm OR SELL OUT||Race Weekend Pricing (if available) *T-shirt not guaranteed!|
|Each Additional Child (for families with multiple children)||$15.00||$20.00||$25.00|
|2 person relay team||$45.00||$50.00||$55.00|
|3 person relay team||$60.00||$65.00||$70.00|
Scholarships Available! If your child would like to participate in the Tri 4 Schools Kids Triathlon and will require financial assistance to enter, please contact our Race Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can also help with helmets, shoes, and bikes if you register more than two weeks ahead of time.
The Tri 4 Schools race will be held at the Waunakee Aquatic Center in Waunakee and surrounding neighborhood. Safety is our primary concern so we may create a fun race for all participants!
The swim will be held in the indoor pool at the Waunakee Aquatic Center.
In case of rain, the race will continue unless it is deemed to be unsafe by local authorities on the morning of the race. Please check back on our race site prior to race day to check in on weather updates! Any child that needs assistance with the swim portion will be allowed a kickboard or water noodle to help them. Flotation devices are not allowed per pool rules.
This year we will again stage swimmers in the gym instead of the hallway next to the pool. Follow the hallway next to the pool and take the stairs down and to the right. Look for the banners with your child’s sea creature on them.
To all parents/guardians: your child must be comfortable in a pool to participate. Noodles can be used ONLY in the short course (new for 2017). Children who are not able to complete half the distance without help on race day will be pulled from the pool and disqualified (they can still complete the race, just without an official time). Please work with your children on being comfortable in the water, or consider making a relay team with a more experienced swimmer. Thank you for your cooperation!
The swim course map is posted below, and you can print off a copy here.
The bike course will take place on neighborhood streets and the bike path surrounding the Waunakee Community High School campus. Participants will do one or two loops depending on distance, with our short course athletes completing one loop of a shorter course on the streets closest to Waunakee Community High School. All roads on the bike course will be controlled by police and coned off from traffic. We will also have volunteers helping children and neighborhood citizens stay safe during the event.
Short Course bike course turn by turn:
1. Exit transition area onto Community Drive and turn right on South Street
2. Turn left on Kingston Way and proceed to turnaround
3. After rounding turnaround, proceed back to transition area on Kingston Way and turn right on South Street
4. Turn left onto Community Drive and return in “Bike In” lane of transition area
View T4S Waunakee Short Course Bike Route in a larger map
Medium and Long Distance Bike Course turn by turn:
1. Exit transition area onto Community Drive and turn right on South Street
2. Turn left on Kingston Way
3. Turn right on Wexford Drive
4. Turn right on South Division Street
5. Turn right onto Woodland Drive bike path
6. Turn right onto bike path before County Highway Q (high school campus path)
7. Follow bike path past baseball diamonds and merge with Community Drive
8. Long course athletes will follow Community Drive back to South Street and complete a second loop. Middle course athletes will enter the “Bike In” lane of the transition area.
View T4S Waunakee Medium & Long Course Bike Route in a larger map
The run course will be held on the Waunakee Community High School track. Our short course athletes will run directly from the transition area to the finish line. The middle course athletes will run two laps around the track (1/2 mile), and the long course athletes will run four laps around the track (1 mile). Everyone will finish at our finish line on the track!
We will make sure that only division is in this area at a time to avoid any potential collisions.
The divisions and distances are as follows:
|Distance||Swim||Bike||Run (laps on standard track)|
|Short (rec. ages 3-6)||25 yards||.5 mile||.2 mile (less than one)|
|Middle (rec. ages 7-10)||50 yards||2 miles||.5 mile (two)|
|Long (rec. ages 11-14)||100 yards||4 miles||1 mile (four)|
The race will be held at the Waunakee Community High School Campus – 301 Community Drive, Waunakee, WI 53597
Driving directions via Google Maps can be found here.
Parking will be available in the west parking lot along Community Drive, which is accessible from Highway Q as you enter town. You will also be able to park in the Main lot in front of the high school. There will be event parking signs to help guide you.
The lot between the High School and Middle School will not be available, as this will be used for the transition area. The Waunakee library parking lot is not open for triathlon parking.
If you arrive BEFORE 8:30am, you may enter Community Drive from Highway Q (Century Avenue).
If you arrive AFTER 8:30am, please take Highway Q/Century Avenue to 8th Street. Turn right, and then take the first right into the parking lot next to the high school.
There will be a drop-off zone located on South Street so you can drop off your child’s bike and other transition area items. Please use this for loading/unloading only and then park in one of the two specified lots.
The general site overview is below. It includes the best spectator areas as well. Please print a copy of this map, as limited copies will be available on race day.
This is our 2016 site map, and you can print off a copy below as well.
Key Things to Remember:
- When the transition area is closed, no one may enter or exit. This is for the safety of competing athletes and athletes/spectators waiting to enter the area. We will periodically open the transition area for placement and removal of your equipment. You can access this area by waiting in the transition waiting area, located between transition and the small visitor parking lot along South Street.
- Please arrive 45-60 minutes before your race is scheduled to start. Start times are estimated and we cannot hold waves for athletes who have not yet arrived. This will allow you time to get acclimated to your environment and the race layout.
- Consider picking up your packet on Friday night to save you time on Saturday!
Friday, May 19th – Waunakee Middle School Gym
|4:30pm||Packet pick-up opens|
|5:00pm||Course Talk and Transition Area tips|
|5:45pm||Course Talk and Transition Area tips|
|6:30pm||Packet pick-up closes|
Saturday, May 20th – Waunakee Aquatic Center and High School
|7:00am||Packet pick-up and transition area open|
|7:30am||Course Talk, Relay Team prep, and Transition Area tips|
|8:15am||Transition area closes for the start of the first distance|
|8:30am||Long course race begins|
|9:00am||Estimated opening of transition area for arriving athletes|
|9:30am||Estimated start time for medium course race|
|9:45am||Estimated award ceremony for long course race|
|10:00am||Estimated opening of transition area for arriving athletes|
|10:30am||Estimated start time for short course race|
|10:45am||Estimated award ceremony for medium course race|
|11:00am||Estimated opening of transition area for removal of equipment|
|11:15am||Estimated award ceremony for short course race|
|12:00pm||Estimated race end|
These are the rules that our race will follow. These rules are in place for the safety of all of our participants, spectators, and volunteers!
- Bike helmets must be worn on the bike course and should be buckled BEFORE leaving the transition area, as well as at all times when a participant is riding their bike. All helmets should be approved by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- Your bike must be safe enough to ride. We will have a bike maintenance crew available before the race, but if you have time, get your bike a tune-up at your local bike shop. Remember, it’s okay to use training wheels for this race!
- Participants that wish to use kickboards or a water noodle will be able to do so for the swim portion of the race. No inflatable flotation devices will be allowed.
- Children ages six and under will be allowed one parent in the transition area to help them. Any child ages seven and older must be able to get themselves through the transition area on their own.
- Participants are not allowed to wear headphones on any portion of the race course.
- Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated and will result in a disqualification. Remember, respect earns respect!
- Race numbers must be worn on the run course. It is optional to wear your race number on the bike course.
The Tri 4 Schools Kids Triathlon has both a two and three person relay team division. What this means, is that you can team up with one or two friends to complete the triathlon. Relay teams will complete the same distance as individual competitors, but will choose the leg (or legs) of the race where they are strongest.
For example, one person could do the swim, another could do the bike, and a third could do the run. With a two person team, one person could do the swim, and the other could do the biking and running (or any other combination of the three legs). A timing chip is passed between the team members to record your time. Only one team member should complete each event (for example, all team members do not need to bike or run). This is a great option if your child is not a strong swimmer – just find a friend that likes to swim and you are ready to go!
A meeting will be held the morning of the race to help relay teams understand where they need to be in the transition area.
All participants will receive finisher medals. Trophies will be given to the top three boys and girls in each two-year age category within each distance, as well as those who do a longer distance than the one recommended for their age. See below:
Short Course: 3-4, 5-6
Medium Course: 7-8, 9-10, 6 and under
Long Course: 11-12, 13-14, 10 and under
For our relay participants, the top team in each race distance will receive awards: short, medium, and long.
Award ceremonies will take place at approximately 9:30 for our long distance race, 10:30 for our medium distance race, and 11:00 for our short distance race.
Finally, we have one traveling trophy that will be awarded to the school with the most participants. This will be a traveling trophy presented at your school after the race, and you can display it proudly until the next Tri 4 Schools event!
Results & Photos
Results for our 2016 race are posted HERE.
Results for our 2015 race are posted HERE .
Results for our 2014 race are posted HERE .
Results from our 2013 race are posted HERE .
Results from our 2012 race are posted HERE.
Photographers – if you are interested in photographing a race to get some exposure for your business, please contact us at the above email address or via our contact form.
Congratulations to our award winners!
1. Donald Conway
2. Cristian Cruz-Montes
3. Jakel Jones
1. Sarah Foley
2. Darya Pronina
3. Janelle Schulz
1. Chris Burczyk
2. Henry Noyes
3. Quinn Schroeder
1. Maria Lanham
2. Samantha Snell
3. Olivia Hebert
10 and Under Boys
1. Jackson Esteves
2. Jonah Caldera
3. Ian Vogel
10 and Under Girls
2. Ashley Andler
3. Lucy Giao Wyse
Top Relay Team: Mendota Madness – Isaiah Threatt and Timara Smith
1. Nathan Hare
2. David Banker
3. Shaun Fahey
1. Sydney Heideman
2. Amanda Arias
3. Isabella Bloom
1. Maximus Helmstadter
2. Mason Spear
3. Isaiah Block
1. Madilyn Kripps
2. Evelyn Herely
3. Eloise Wilde
6 and Under Boys
1. Julian Snell
2. Luke Strasia
3. Charles Heideman
6 and Under Girls
1. Maddie Frazer
Top Relay Team: Lincoln Leaders – David Lascano, Ian Heingartner, Alexis Morales Cortez
1. Brandon Ballweg
2. Keaton Kripps
3. Jake Heideman
1. Chloe Spear
2. Brooke Ballweg
3. Hailey Mix
1. Dmitry Pronin
2. Luke Stano
3. Christian White
1. Ella Morrison
2. Riley Hensel
3. Emma Scheuber
Top Relay : Lindbergh Ladies – Madalyn Phelan and Elizabeth Xiong[/twocol_one_last]